The Duluth Poet Laureate Selection Committee welcomes applications for the 2018-2020 Duluth Poet Laureate position.
The Committee will review all applications and will select the Duluth Poet Laureate, whose term will be for two years. The Selection Committee is composed of representatives from Duluth’s literary community, related businesses and organizations, local colleges and/or universities, and other individuals interested in the field of poetry.
The Duluth Poet Laureate Project was founded in 2005 as a way of honoring local poets and encouraging the appreciation of poetry. There have been five poets laureate previously selected over the years, including Bart Sutter, Sheila Packa, Deborah Cooper, Jim Johnson (twice), and Ellie Schoenfeld.
We operate under the fiscal agency of the Zeitgeist Arts Center.
1. Must be a legal resident of Minnesota and have lived and/or worked in the Duluth city area for at least five of the last ten years. The applicant must intend to live or work in Duluth or the Duluth area for the duration of the appointment.
2. Must show a willingness and ability to fulfill poet laureate responsibilities.
3. Must have made significant contributions to the literary community, which could include teaching, organizing public events, et al.
Download to complete:
The application process will take place in two parts: (1) review of submitted materials and selection of finalists and (2) the opportunity for finalists to speak with the selection committee.
Applications will be evaluated on three primary areas:
- the quality of sample poems
- the applicant’s history of contributions to the poetry community
- the applicant’s ideas for representing Duluth as its poet laureate
Deadline for completed applications: Postmarked by September 4, 2018, or delivered to Jim Perlman, Chairperson, Duluth Poet Laureate Project, 711 Woodland Avenue, Duluth, Minnesota 55812 by 5 p.m., September 4, 2018.
Duluth panorama photo credit: Randen Pederson